Monday, September 26, 2011

Makapuu Lighthouse hike--FAIL

I have started enforcing M.andatory F.amily F.un D.ays in my house.  My master plan is to venture out on a hike or walk or exploration to a new spot on the island every weekend.  What better way to get the most out of our time here and catch all the best spots.

Well 3 weeks ago we tried start MFFD by taking the girls on their first hike.  I scoped out a location that sounded great.  Makapuu Lighthouse Hike is a costal trek along a paved road with breathtaking views of both the south and north shores.  It ends at the Makapuu Lighthouse with cool coastal breezes to cool off your 1 1/2 mile hike.  It didnt sound too steep so I thought the girls would have no problem keeping up.  So off we went.

We woke the girls early so we could get there and start before it got too hot.  Not a great idea, they both woke grumpy but we decided to go anyway.  Mommy packed a light snack for the hike but in my excitement to leave the house didnt really feed anyone before we left, I just rushed them out the door.  Again, not a great idea.  I have been a mother to Beau for over 4 years, a mother to Alex for 2 1/2 years and a wife to Sam for 8 years . . . I should know by now that these people need to eat.  We didn't even make it out the driveway before the whining and crying started, by the time we pulled into the parking lot a temper tantrum was in full swing . . . and that was just Sam.

What would a normal person do at this point?  Probably just go and get some food, and put everyone back to sleep.

What would a crazy "I've already planned this day out and turning around isn't on the itinerary"person, do? That's right I pushed everyone up that hill.  Well, metaphorically.  In actuality I bribed with promises of food and ice cream.  Alex, isn't quite old enough for bribes, she is more of an instant gratification kind of girl, so she wasn't having any of it.  I pulled out and quickly ran out of the snack I packed.  What was I thinking with 2 string cheeses, 2 mandarin oranges, apple slices and handful of almonds I packed, Beau uses that as an appetizer most days.  Once I ran out of food Alex plopped herself down and refused to budge.  We may or may not have actually dragged her up parts of that hill.


When were weren't dragging her or carrying her she was dragging her own feet a good 20 feet behind us.


We reached the 1/2 mile point after about 35 minutes, gallons of tears and snot had been shed, yet still I pressed on.  I calmed the girls with a plaque of whales since we had reached a prime whale watching site, and we rested.  I managed to snap a few deceivingly calm pics.


The girls taking in the view



The waves crashing below




But all too quickly Alex got bored of looking at the amazingly beautiful view and protested that she was going home and headed back down the mountain.



Daddy, who was tired, hungry and grumpy himself had had enough, he finally flung alex over his shoulder and headed back to the car.  I realized he had the keys and just might leave me there, so I grabbed Beaus hand and tried to keep up.  After about 1/4 mile he slowed down to wait for us.  He had somehow managed to calm Ali and they both seemed to be in a better mood.  

We made it to the car together, left together and ate breakfast and ice cream together.  It was a colossal failure as far as the hike was concerned but Mandatory Family Fun Day had a new rule: Eat Breakfast together after a well rested nights sleep.



Stay Tuned:  Makapuu Lighthouse Hike Part II, did we make it to the top???



No comments: