Saturday, March 23, 2013

Checkidy check

I have many lists.  To do lists, Books to Read lists, Places to Eat lists, Places to Visit lists, Lists to Make lists.  I also have creative lists.  Things I want to create are different than to do lists because to do lists are boring and painful to complete.  Creative lists are supposed to be fun...supposed to be.

Anyway...I have had grand ideas for an outdoor ottoman on our lanai. For a long time. It has been at the top of a short list for a lo-oo-ong time.

I got a free pallet when my couch was delivered - score - and anyone who has ever heard of Pinterest knows when you have a pallet, you use it.

I'm not exactly a crafty person. By that I mean if it requires power tools or more than 6 steps, I am out. You know that saying "measure twice, cut once"? Yeah, I'm more of a cut first and see if anything is salvageable later. I am that person who when hanging a picture will use a book or children's toy to hammer the nail into the wall as opposed to searching for the drill bit and hammer required to hang it properly. I am far more likely to make 12 holes in the wall instead of measuring it out ahead of time. This project was no different and I still couldn't screw it up so you know it must be easy.

All I needed was:
Pallet
Legs
Leg attachment kit
Mattress foam pad
Material or shower curtain
Staple gun
A Helpful Husband ;)

Step 1:
Have your hubby cut down the outside of the middle support beam so it is a rectangle instead of a square. You can do this yourself if you want, but why? My hubby was just sitting there watching soccer. Show a little side boob and he will usually do whatever I ask.

Step 2:
Buy precut legs and attachment kit from Home Depot. If you are crafty you can cut some wood, drill them into the pallet and and still have time to bedazzle your jeans. I took the easy way out. Just buy a kit.

Step 3:
Spray paint legs. You can stain them but why bother when a spray can can get it done in 2 minutes.

Step 4:
Lay a shower curtain, pattern side down, on the floor. Top with 2 layers of the foam mattress pad on top. This is also referred to as egg crate padding, a twin sized pad was big enough for 2 layers. Lay the pallet bottom side up on top of the layers.

Step 5: work your way around the pallet stapling the curtain to the underside of the wood. Be sure to pull the material tight.

Step 6:
Have hubby attach the legs using the leg kit. Did I mention yet that this step was crazy easy? It was so easy I could have done it myself. But I didnt. Because I got married for a reason, and while I'm not saying the only reason I got married was to have a husband to do the things I don't want to do, I'm not NOT saying that either. (Love you Sam :))

Voila! That's it.

The entire project only took me about a year.
But the average person should be able to finish in about 30 minutes.




So that's one thing I can check off my list :)

No comments: